Reality of 'Freedom of Speech'- a subtle poetry

WHAT DO I WRITE?

- By SARAH KHAN

When I write for animals, the humanity confronts
Speaking for one, the other complains
Dismissing the issues faced by one section
People blame each other with hate in their veins

Writing on Feminism, I'm linked with misandry
Even though I'm speaking for the right cause
When I write on poors, the rich gets angry
Without understanding who's at major loss

I write for my community and get labelled "selfish"
A show off is considered when it's about charity
When I write for another, my community questions
Even though I'm promoting the prosperity

Writing on politics makes me an anti national
If I write on love, it awakens the broken heart
When I write on religion, I get labelled an athiest
Whether being rightly against the patriarchal part

I write against casteism and invite the fascists
If I write for the blacks, I hear 'all lives matter'
Does speaking for the silenced go against the loud one?
The ignorance make their dreams shatter

No matter when, where and whom I write about
Somebody somewhere somehow will always criticize
We cannot satisfy all and sundry
And please every opinion, seem good in every eyes

And the list of arguments is never ending 
I'll always be bad in someone's eyes
Even though I aspire the betterment of people
Misunderstandings no truth can suffice 

Our words are chained to the societal ideologies
And thoughts are confined to things we preach
Controlled by the public, the good gets silenced
Yet we all claim to enjoy the freedom of speech!

 


DESCRIPTIONThis poetry criticizes the idea of how people judge others on the basis of opinions they carry. Of course, when it's about differentiating the water from ice then you can't compromise with the right and wrong.
I've faced the criticism from my own family relatives, friends and even strangers just because my opinions were not matching their ideologies. My own people had detached themselves from me not following their beliefs which hurts their sentiments.
Authors, writers, artists, journalists, comedians all are chained to the intolerant society. Hence our opinions are free, yet we can't share them openly without facing a criticism. The serious fact is that some people would find a problem with this poetry, too. As a result of which the problem is set aside, the justice of oppressed becomes unimportant and whole concentration goes over sheer arguments.
Also, who said opinions don't change the reality? Opinions can easily ruin a sustained friendship or a relationship among snowflakes. People take months or even years to build a friendship or relationship but just a minute or a second to break it on the basis of one minute judgements. For some, it's easier to break a bond rather than clearing out the misunderstandings. While others break the bonds because "their people" did, so they must have a reason, why should I bother? Such people assume that "their people" are flawless, although nobody is. We should have our own reasons for being or not being with certain people rather than observing how others deal with him or her.
Multiple significance can be drawn out from this poetry.
Lastly, I'd say tolerance is a skill we all need to learn instead of brawling up arms or breaking a bond with one minute misunderstandings. Your religious or political views are not a medal that everyone needs to carry. All might have different ideas of religion, religious practices, learn to accept respectfully even if you don't conform to them (unless it's hateful) and if so clear out any misunderstandings.


Comments